Home » Personal Narrative

Personal Narrative

Trip to South Korea

Leaving your home to stay at a different place might be quite difficult for some people, especially if you’re going to be over 1000 miles from home. To me, leaving my home felt like I was going to heaven. The more time you spend thinking about the distance and how far you’re going to be from home, the more depressed you become. My trip to South Korea is one of the most memorable experiences in my life. This is not from the fact that I spent 2 weeks there, I mean that might be one of the reasons why, who knows?  but the main reason for this being my favorite moment is that I got the chance to experience the lifestyle of Koreans and be able to visit some special places like the ( Gyeongbokgung Palace (경복궁), DMZ, Insa-dong (인사동), etc). When we first arrived at Incheon airport, I begun the compare everything I saw to what I’ve been seeing in New York. Most of the things that found interesting was uncommon in the United State or any other country. Things like the basic trash bin we see outside are different in South Korea as compared to any other place. Some trash bins are labelled for specific people are supposed to use them (ie. gender).

After experiencing some lifestyles in Korea, my perspective about Korea totally changed. I begun to look at Korea in a different way as I did before. I thought that the tension between South and North Korea will prevent the south from living their lives and focus on protecting themselves from the North. I mean they do protect themselves, but not as much as they enjoy themselves. Ever Since my trip to South Korea, I’ve always wanted to go back for a tour or to stay there. Koreans are very welcoming and more than happy to accept foreigners (especially people of color). I’m always hoping to get another chance to visit South Korea again, this time to stay there for at least 3 months.